12 Mar 2018
Officially kicking off in September 2017, Technical Services has been working to complete the migration of our FIS active directory to the University-wide active directory. We are happy to announce this migration has been successfully completed on time! This has been a monumental undertaking, and we would like to thank you all for your cooperation and patience during this time.
- Joining the centralized active directory allows for better-integrated security and use of a single sign-on (Fewer passwords to remember!)
- Increased integration with the University community will streamline implementations and collaboration with other University departments, schools, and units
- 48 business services located on over 300 servers were migrated, and many were improved during the transition to include upgraded hardware and software
Thank you for your support!
21 Mar 2017
As part of moving to the digital workplace, FIS is investing in desktop virtualization. Virtualization of our workplace assists with increased productivity, agility, and responsiveness. It also extends the life cycle of the desktop and provides the flexibility to adjust resources to each desktop on demand.
FIS Connect 7: FIS is working to upgrade the virtual desktop infrastructure which will increase capacity, optimize performance, and improve reliability for all customers who use a virtual computer.
sConnect: All FIS customers who utilize a virtual desktop with FIS Connect 7 will soon have access to sConnect. sConnect is our Desktop from Anywhere solution. It’s a secure portal that allows you to log into FIS Connect from any web browser with an internet connection, both on or off campus, with no additional software required. This means you can get to your desktop and other resources just as if you were in the office.
- If you’re working from home, use sConnect to connect to your work desktop from your home computer.
- If you are using a conference room computer and need to quickly access your files, you can use the sConnect website.
- If the power goes out in your office, you can relocate and continue to work with all necessary access.
Stay tuned for our announcement of sConnect’s debut!
29 Sep 2016
The digital workplace is designed to empower employees, reduce total cost of ownership, and improve security. This increasing reliability, value, flexibility, and agility to the University. FIS Technical Services has invested in bringing about the digital workplace to the University through embracing cloud, mobility, and virtualization. Over the past year, Technical Services has undertaken the following initiatives to bring us closer to the digital workplace:
- VMWare Horizon View: FIS implemented Horizon View hosted virtual desktops as a replacement to the traditional desktop for more than 100 computers. Horizon View extends the replacement life cycle of the desktop. It also enables access to the desktop from almost any endpoint, including mobile hardware and the web, while securely running the desktop from the University Data Center. Finally, it enables flexibility to adjust resources to each desktop on-demand which will decrease downtime.
- SharePoint Online and Office 365: FIS Technical Services started the process to migrate from our SharePoint 2010 on-premise sites to the University Enterprise SharePoint Online service with One Drive for Business hosted by Microsoft. FIS has worked to provide guidance, governance, and a data migration plan for this cloud offering. By using hosted cloud-based services, staff will have increased storage, enables access to their content from almost any endpoint including mobile and web, and reduced IT management.